Hello, readers!

Hello, readers!

I am not currently on the road. Please check back periodically later this year as I have no idea when I'll be traveling! August? September? October? Who knows!

Cheers,
Kelly

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Haze is good for something, after all

8-9-2021 

-----

Hello! New day, new post – you’ll note that this one has skipped ahead by a couple of days, though. Last post was for Friday, 8/6, and this post covers Monday, 8/9.

That’s because I was completely embroiled with helping my friend with her wedding, which was on the 7th, and completely neglected to take any photos! Not that I would post my friend’s wedding photos on a random blog like this anyways.

I also visited another friend and her fiancé in Boulder on the 8th, and me being tired and them being tired, mostly all we did was eat and catch up. So again, nothing to report on when it comes to snazzy picture-laden blog posts. But it was a great weekend, and I was glad to have gotten to see my friends!

But now it’s time to get back on the road – I’m tired of cities and ready to go plop myself somewhere new and kind of remote.

Where does one go, when looking for solitude in Colorado in August? The answer is: not Colorado. The reality is that most areas of Colorado are totally swamped by tourists in the summer (myself being one of those tourists, of course). If you’re looking for somewhere to plop down and recover from a whirlwind extra-social weekend, you have to get off the beaten path. And what place is more off the beaten path than… Nebraska?

Yep, I’m going to Nebraska. There’s about three things I wanted to see in the southwestern corner of the state, which actually happens to be not too far from Boulder (surprisingly, only a three hour drive!). I figured I wouldn’t be actively going to Nebraska anytime in the future, so being already in Boulder, this was probably my best time to go. Longtime readers of this blog may remember that I did pass through in 2017, but admittedly spent as little time as possible in the state before escaping further north.

Okay, so Nebraska. You may be skeptical, but there are some great things to see! My destination for the day was Scottsbluff (or Scotts Bluff, depending on if you’re referring to the town or the park in the town).

Now the unfortunate part is that while I was in Denver, a thick gray smokey haze had descended. You know, I was very excited to get to travel through Colorado the ONE year that it’s not on fire – and it turns out that it doesn’t even matter. Because although there was no smoke from local fires, the fires in the Pacific Northwest were burning so viciously that the smoke was wafting all the way across the continent, even reaching the East Coast. I know I shouldn’t be complaining – there are a lot of people dealing with those fires up close and personal, and those fires are no joke. But as I set out north from Boulder on Monday morning, I did find myself wishing that the smoke would stay over there. Everything was completely gray; Boulder’s famous Flat Irons might as well have not existed. It was a very blah kind of day.

I drove north into Wyoming, then east into Nebraska, and things did not improve. Not for a long while, at least.


Sign's advertisement misleading; did not find big blue skies

At least the speed limit is nice

Is this really the good life though??

UGHHHHHHHH

I finally saw SOMETHING as I approached the town of Scottsbluff. To my surprise, large dusty white cliffs rose right out of the plains, towering majestically over the waving grass (and corn). I don’t know why I was surprised, as I was going to Scottsbluff specifically to see these outcrops. I guess I was just so used to seeing nothing but gray that I was surprised to be able to see anything at all.


Land ho!



A very Nebraska picture

I stopped by Riverside Campground first to set up my campsite, or at least make sure that I had remembered to book one. I found the place largely deserted, home to a few RVs but otherwise very little signs of life. Perfect.

Having staked my spot, I then puttered back down the town’s main drag and turned off onto the road leading from Scottsbluff, to Scotts Bluff. Confusing, I know.

Even the thick, wooly haze couldn’t fully diminish the beauty of this place. It must be spectacular on a clear day, even more so for being in a most unexpected spot in a lonely corner of Nebraska.  





I stopped off at the visitor’s center, where the park interpreters oohed and aahed over Jane and I oohed and aahed over some cool exhibits about pioneer life in the area. Many of the exhibits detailed how challenging Scotts Bluff was to get through, especially for wagon trains like the pioneers used, because of the eroded badlands topography of the area. Wagons don’t go through bluffs or ravines too well, you know. But I kind of had to wonder about this. Nebraska is quite flat and consequently Scotts Bluff is one of the most visible landmarks for many, many miles – you see it coming, in other words. So it seems as if it would have been quite easy for the pioneers to detour around instead of rolling right up to it and then struggling through the challenging topography… which they would have been able to see for miles away. But what do I know. I guess maybe when you’re driving through a largely unmapped continent, sometimes it’s easier to just go through what you know, even if it’s a real pain in your ass, than to try to explore for a better solution.

Scotts Bluff National Monument is a small park, with only a couple of trails, so you could say that the area even now remains largely underexplored – or at least not thoroughly traversed. I picked up a map from the visitor center, but it turns out I didn’t need it, because all of the trails started right from the front door. No way to get lost here!

I first headed along a short interpretive trail that takes you along the original path that the pioneers took back in the 19th century on their way Out West. Some cool views here, and a neat reproduction wagon, but I think my favorite thing about the trail was that you could still see the indentations in the hillside from the wagon ruts, even nearly 200 years later. Erosion is a funny thing.




A disgusting amount of haze ruining what would otherwise be an incredible shot! (I assume)







After poking around there a bit, I hopped onto the main trail, which winds its way up the side of the bluffs to a looped path with spectacular views on top. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the entire path was paved – most trails aren’t, but the paved ones are much better for accessibility, and of course they don’t erode into disrepair nearly as quickly. I can only imagine the amount of effort that it took to haul asphalt up the sheer sides of the bluffs to pave over some of the sections. Impressive, especially for a small park!

As I traipsed up the bluffs towards the crest, the terrible air quality really began to take a toll on me. Granted, the path was steep, but given that I just hiked steeper paths at higher elevations when in Colorado, I have to assume that my shortness of breath was related to all of the smoke in the air rather than my fitness. I hope. Or maybe I just ate too many pizzas in Denver.

Regardless of the cause, my frequent stops gave me a lot of time to look at some cool plants and rocks and stuff. 






Now is a good time for a brief foray into the unique geology of the bluffs. These sandy yellow-gray hills are very, very soft, being formed of very loosely lithified fine terrestrial sediments. To explain further - to make a good strong sedimentary rock, you need two things: a mineralizing fluid, and pressure. Essentially, to take a pile of sand and make it into a rock, you need a way to get all of the grains to stick together. If you run a fluid that is saturated in elements like calcium through this sand, you can grow (precipitate) little bits of calcite that stick the sand grains together. It helps if you can bury the sand under a lot more sand, so the grains really get squished together and fluids get forced through or even trapped, allowing further precipitation of minerals and mechanically sticking the grains together as well. In the rocks that I usually work on (limestones), the sediments were deposited in the ocean, so calcium-rich seawater can very easily precipitate bits of calcite between grains, sticking everything together and making it very strong. But these rocks, which were deposited on land as parts of a muddy river system, did not have the benefit of an entire ocean’s worth of calcium to precipitate little cements to stick all of the grains together. All they had was lime-saturated groundwater. And they didn’t get buried nearly as deeply as many marine rocks do, in part because sediments don’t pile up on land as thickly and quickly as in the ocean (remember, most land is eroding, not building), and in part simply because they’re not as old as the rocks I usually work (they’re “only” 22 to 32 million years old). So, with less burial and less cementation, understandably, these rocks are very soft.

About halfway up the bluffs, I saw a really interesting contact between two beds of rock. It looked almost like thick mud that had been squished up through the overlying rock! I did some brief digging into Google Scholar (just now) and it appears that there’s a few opinions on how this could have happened, most relating to intrusion of fluids or precipitation of displacing minerals or something. Whatever the cause, it does look really cool!


Wow!


I continued staggering my way up the path, cursing the smoke that seemed to be taking up residency in 50% of my lung volume. But in retrospect, looking back, maybe that path was just pretty steep:


I neared the top of the bluffs and found that the geology had changed again, and of course I needed to take more pictures of it! Walking adjacent to the cliff faces, it was easy to see really cool features like pipey limestone concretions (created by lime-rich water percolating through only certain parts of the rock), aeolian cross bedding (relict sand dunes), plant root casts, and insect burrows! But what was most remarkable to me was how fragile the rock was. I could crumble it with a touch quite easily, yet somehow despite its fragility it has stood the test of time, even though the bluffs have been exposed to the harsh winds of the plains for thousands if not millions of years. There’s probably a metaphor for human life or something in there.





"Pipey" limestone



Some very nice cross-bedding

Insect burrows and/or plant root casts!


Speaking of human life, I found these deep handprints in the cliff face at one point. They were cool but… actually really creepy. They gave me the impression that someone was desperately trying to escape – but from what? I hoped I wouldn’t find out.




Finally, I reached the top of the bluffs. You can actually drive up here if you’re not too inclined to traipse up the steep trail that I took – there’s a parking lot at the start of the bluff-top loop. But I had opted to hike because I needed the exercise after a weekend of eating pizza, and also I figured that there wouldn’t be many good views for Jane at the top anyways due to the haze. Wandering around the loop briefly, I found my suspicions to be true. I bet that normally, the top of this trail probably affords spectacular sweeping views of the town of Scottsbluff, various other bluffs in the area, and of course thousands of acres of corn fields. But on this particular day, I could only see how thick the smoke haze really was.




So with dusk approaching – and a ranger appearing at the top of the parking lot to tell the single vehicle up there to leave before the park closed – I hiked myself right back down the trail. I had parked Jane outside the gates so I didn’t need to worry about the park closing, but I can’t say that I love to hike in the dark! I have to confess that I was disappointed though and spent the majority of my walk back down the bluffs thinking about how great these views would have been, had it not been for the haze. I mean, it’s not like I’m going to be coming back to Nebraska anytime soon.







But as I reached the base of the bluffs, I was abruptly reminded that haze is good for ONE thing: dramatic, vibrant sunsets. I was reminded of this, because I was suddenly treated to a radiant beam of brilliant orange light that arrowed down from a break in the thick band of clouds, diffusing through the haze and throwing the nearer bluffs into deep purple shadows even as it backlit others. Oh, man. It was not a traditional pink-and-purple-majesty sunset, but it certainly lacked nothing for drama and interesting lighting. I spent the remainder of my hike thoroughly enjoying the show, as the sun struggled to defeat the near-impenetrable clouds, first peeking through one gap, then another. 














Eventually, the sun slid sullenly beneath the band of clouds, and without its rays reflecting off all of the particulates in the atmosphere, the skies turned back to a pleasant shade of blue – at least, if one was photographing with ones camera leaned a bit upwards. I made it back to Jane before dusk and took the opportunity to take a few photos as the park closed down for the night. By that point, the sun was reflecting across a scattering of clouds lower in the sky, making for a different kind of dramatic effect that provided a very nice backdrop. 





 I returned to my quiet campsite for a couple hamburgers and an enthralling book – an excellent end to a day. I have to say, this one turned out better than I expected. Certainly, the day didn’t look very promising to start – but it turns out that haze is good for something, after all.

Kelly signing out.

1 comment: