Hello, readers!

Hello, readers!

I am not currently on the road. Please check back periodically later this year as I have no idea when I'll be traveling! August? September? October? Who knows!

Cheers,
Kelly

Friday, April 24, 2015

Learning to Fly

First of all, I’d like to start by apologizing for not updating this blog in a timely fashion! It has been a wild trip. I’m now near the end of it but late is better than never for a post!

Thursday morning dawned with an accompaniment of a light sprinkling of snow. I, of course, disregarded the white stuff and hit the road! Jane and I had a lot of running to do as I was aiming to be in Kingman, AZ by nightfall. This meant a drive from Raton to Kingman through Las Vegas (NM), Santa Fe, Albuquerque, Grants, Gallup, Holbrook, Winslow, Flagstaff, Williams, and Seligman. In short, a lot of Route 66 – the Mother Road!

Cruising Route 66 is something of a nostalgic American pastime, especially for “car people”. I can very truthfully say that what I did on Thursday was not anywhere close to a cruise. To put it succinctly, Jane and I hauled ass down Route 66 and made it across two states in one day. We stopped only once in Albuquerque for some delicious green chile chicken enchiladas – a New Mexican specialty. The rest of the time was spent eating away at the miles, pounding down the blacktop to a backdrop of screaming guitars (hair metal, of course).


It was super windy in New Mexico again and the wind noise inside the car was phenomenal. I saw a semi truck get blown over by a lane and Jane was getting whipped around pretty good. I figured that at some point Jane was just going to take wing and fly with the wind, which probably would have saved me quite a bit on gas. Because we were driving so quickly I was only getting a measly 18 mpg. But alas, all four tires remained (mostly) on the ground and so I was restricted only to the paved parts of the American Southwest. There were some sections of road that were so straight that I could have let go of the wheel and still been on the road 30 minutes later no worse for the wear.


I can’t say that the day was eventful, but it was at least beautiful. The weather was kind of overcast but that was made better by news that I received from Colorado – apparently it had snowed over a foot at my house! The overcast weather also kept me from needing sunblock or A/C or anything else. Mostly I just drove.


We finally pulled into Kingman around 7:30PM after hammering down the highway for a full 12 hours. I had booked a hotel room for my stay, as I wanted to be able to leave bright and early again. My place of choice was El Trovatore Motel, a classic Route 66 stop. It’s a motel that was built in the 50’s and never updated. It boasts around 20 rooms, each with a separate movie star theme, and comes complete with a giant Route 66 mural and the traditional 50’s Route 66 giant neon sign. Very cool retro vibe! I stayed in the John Wayne room and watched old black and white movies late into the night. And so I concluded my Route 66 day – with a time warp back into the glory days of the Mother Road.

Sunset over the mountains heading through Flagstaff - absolutely gorgeous time of day.
Very cool old school sign!
Even cooler old school sign. This tower was really, really tall.

No comments:

Post a Comment