Hello, readers!

Hello, readers!

I am not currently on the road. Please check back periodically later this year as I have no idea when I'll be traveling! August? September? October? Who knows!

Cheers,
Kelly

Monday, August 1, 2016

On the road again!! (Finally)


Well folks, it’s been a while since I’ve fired up the old blog so it’s about time to get it going again! A lot of stuff has happened since I last posted over a year ago. Last August, I moved to Austin, Texas for graduate school. I also rebuilt Jane’s engine, which was a hilarious story unto itself – it had no place in a travel blog, but a search on the Vintage Mustang Forums should pull it up pretty quickly. That turned into a fiasco that caused me to have to leave Jane in North Carolina for six months while I finished up my first semester of school. I then re-rebuilt the engine in January and promptly drove her right on over to Austin to be with me where she belongs. After that I put on all-new front suspension, which was a harrowing ordeal but ultimately a much-needed upgrade. Now halfway through the summer I’m still sorting out the bugs associated with completely overhauling an engine. Time has been at a premium the past few months, but that hasn’t stopped me from going all guts and glory and planning another long trip out west!

This time around I won’t be gone for two months, unfortunately. But two weeks is still a pretty good long time. I’ll log over 5000 miles (which is more than 3 times the number of miles that the engine currently has on it), see 5 new National Parks, and get to do what I love best – drive a ridiculous car a ridiculous distance for a ridiculous reason. The final destination this time around? Reno, Nevada.

Now whenever I tell people I’m going to Reno, they kind of make an “ugh” face like they don’t know why anyone in their right mind who isn’t a senior citizen with a gambling problem would go to that city. But hear me out! Every first week of August, Reno is home to Hot August Nights, one of the nation’s biggest, rowdiest, longest hot rod and classic car events. It lasts for a full week and features car shows, cruises, concerts, drag races, drifting, autocrossing, burnout contests, the works. So I’m going to meet up with some of my Californian friends as well as some new friends. My parents are even flying out to come see the spectacle! I’m sure Jane and I will get in all kinds of trouble and it is going to be wonderful.

To prepare for my trip, I procrastinated on some big repairs until three days before leaving (per usual). Jane’s transmission was leaking like a sieve from what I thought was the bearing retainer (wrong), the oil pan was leaking (I don’t know what I thought it was, but I was wrong), the windshield was cracked (it still is), a lifter was ticking, and the alignment was maybe not quite spot on (I did it, so of course it wasn’t spot on). Fortunately, my friend John was able to help me pull the transmission and identify the source of the leak (missing a top plate gasket… no explanation for that one), which was good because the car constantly smelled like it was imminently going to be on fire. I found that the oil pan was leaking not because I used the trashy cork gaskets (my nice Felpro gasket got ruined in the course of the whirlwind engine rebuild) but instead because half of the bolts were falling out (nice). A lifter was ticking because some moron had cinched it down way too much (it was me), so a simple valve adjustment fixed that up. Oh, and I messed with the alignment some, which made things far worse (which I didn’t realize until I left). I decided I would leave the cracked windshield because it doesn’t make sense to put a brand new windshield in the car right before driving 5000 miles on the interstate – jury’s out on how good that decision was but I’m hoping it was a good one.


Anyways, so that’s where I was at at the start of this trip. Ridiculous car, nearly-new engine, all kinds of bugs and odd problems, and a 26 hour drive to Reno. You all know that this is going to be a good one…


No comments:

Post a Comment