Hello, readers!

Hello, readers!

I am not currently on the road. Please check back periodically later this year as I have no idea when I'll be traveling! August? September? October? Who knows!

Cheers,
Kelly

Tuesday, August 2, 2016

A Series of Unfortunate Events (or more accurately, one ongoing unfortunate event)

7/31/2015

I’m fairly convinced that Jane is possessed, though I can never quite figure out if it’s by a friendly or malicious ghost. Regardless of what type of ghost it is that inhabits my car, it really loves to fool around on the first day of road trips. Remember that time I left for that big road trip and ended up having to limp home due to a dead fuel pump? Or how about that time I left for a trip and the car would not quit boiling gas in the tank? Well, add this trip to the counter as well…

2AM... well at least some of the stuff is piled on the floor near the car.
Very surprisingly, we got off to a good start. Hauled our butts out of Dodge at the crack of 8:45AM (an accomplishment for me, considering that I had still been packing up the car at 3AM the night prior). Ran great all the way out of town and looked just as good.



Once we hit the interstate though, I discovered a large problem.

Remember last post how I said that I ruined the alignment? Yeah, I really did. Mostly I just messed with the toe-in, which is apparently a lot more important than I thought it was. I say this because now suddenly my wonderful car dives into any divot in the road, follows any crack, wiggles around, and is generally a total mess to drive. At lower speeds it isn’t noticeable, but when going 85 mph, it is very noticeable. Mostly because if you hit a bump you pretty much go flying off the road. Nevertheless, I am experienced in all manners of Jane ridiculousness so I figured out how to manage it and just powered through.

So, with all kinds of wiggling and shimmying and shammying we made our way up I-10 towards Carlsbad Caverns National Park, our first destination. This is the longest driving day (go figure) and also the most boring, because west Texas is terrible. For the most part, at least. Some of it looks like this:




But most of it looks like this:




Ughhhhhhhh.

Anyways, even though we probably traveled a few extra miles just from all of the sideways weaving, we made it to New Mexico! Hurray.


Unfortunately, I forgot that there’s a time zone change. So while I thought I was making really good time and only had 45 minutes left to get to Carlsbad after that… well, I had another hour and forty-five minutes to go. More weaving! Finally we got to the caverns though. By the time we got there, Jane had decided she’d had enough of me and had returned to the classic “boil the gas in the tank to cause panic” strategy. But that strategy no longer works on me! So I just cracked the gas cap and went on into the caves.

Every once in a while I forget how good this car looks on road trips. Ha! Just kidding, I don’t.



Anyways, the caves. If you are a fan of awesome caves, go to Carlsbad Caverns! Holy moly is it beautiful. The cave complex consists of multiple very large rooms, one of which that is supposedly the biggest in the Western Hemisphere. You can see every cave structure possible here in one spot, and I must say that the NPS has done a superb job lighting the caverns to highlight the best features. You can either take an elevator down into the main part of the caverns, or you can take the natural route, which allows you to see more features at the expense of your knees. It is a very, very steep descent (though I think it really is not as bad as the switchbacks before Angel’s Landing in Zion NP). So of course that’s the route that I took.



As always, I assume all risk... lol

Down in the caves, this is the kind of thing you get to see… I’ve cherry-picked some of the best images, though I have nearly a hundred!
















This was my favorite part of the cave by far. I don’t know, it wasn’t giant or anything (probably 3 feet long), but it was just a super cool stalactite. It looks like a celery stalk! Trying to envision the order of events that would have caused it to grow that way was really neat.




I took a good three hours to go through the caves, exploring every allowable nook and cranny. Then I got back out to Jane, tightened up the gas cap, and wiggled and waggled my way off to my campsite for the night. Couldn’t wait to get into my tent for a nice night’s sleep!

I set my tent up, started cooking dinner, and went to tend to Jane. Every night I check all fluids just to make sure that she hasn’t thrown everything on the ground. Interestingly, I found myself standing in a puddle where previously there had been none… yep, all of the coolant had departed the engine. No evidence of blown gaskets or cracked radiator or even coolant in the overflow. Hmmmm. Just as I started thinking that some advanced form of witchcraft had transported Jane’s coolant from inside the engine to the ground, I noticed something rather silly. The lower radiator hose had just… fallen off of the radiator. It didn’t burst, it didn’t lose its clamp, it simply decided to no longer be attached. So of course all of the coolant fell out. So of course I put the hose back on, tightened the hell out of it, and put coolant back in. More specifically, I put in ¾ gallon of 50/50 mix that I had in the car, my entire gallon of nice fresh spring drinking water (thanks Jane), and then ¾ gallon or so of hard mineral-filled campground water, which of course promptly negated any good that using clean non-mineral-filled water would have done. Whatever. Filled it up, let the air bleed out, filled it up again, put the cap on, and eyeballed it with extreme suspicion for the rest of the night.

I still cannot fathom how it is that I drove at speeds of 85 mph for 500 miles, only to have the hose fall off when I pulled into “home base” for the night. I checked behind the car too and there was no path of droplets indicating a slow failure. So yes, it did just spontaneously fall off. Some days I just don’t know about this car…


It was an off day. But it could have been a million times worse. As always, Jane takes care of me in the weirdest ways… kind of like a sibling that punches you constantly but won’t let anyone else punch you. Here’s to hoping for a less drama-filled day tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment